Last updated on February 28th, 2019 at 04:02 pm
In this #VWSGreenTeam profile, we’re (re)introducing Michelle Rooks! Michelle joined us as we were transitioning into our permanent home at Stonehurst, which, as you’ll find out, happens to be quite close to her own home.
Michelle is part of our Sales & Operations team and spends much of her time making sure orders sent to our craftsmen are 100% accurate and exactly what customers have asked for, among other things. She’s a valued member of our team and a wonderful person to know.
Q&A With Michelle Rooks
When did you start at Vermont Woods Studios and what brought you here?
March 2013. I first became aware of VWS when they participated in the ABC News Made in America filming – my daughter Bri (Gabrielle) was in the shots at Vernon Elementary School.
Later, my former employer was hinting at layoffs at the same time VWS was purchasing Stonehurst so I started watching for job openings.
What does a typical work day look like for you?
There isn’t really a “Typical” day – things change daily, which I love!
- Processing orders
- Talking to customers
- Paying vendors
- Creating Showroom Signage
- Problem solving
- Hourly office workouts 🙂
What’s your favorite part about working at Vermont Woods Studios?
- Not corporate – after nearly 30 years of working in large companies, this is refreshing
- Being close to nature
- Short commute
Pizza or Ice Cream?
What’s your favorite Vermont brand (other than Vermont Woods Studios)?
Describe your typical commute to work.
- 5 minute walk here (downhill), 7 minute walk home (uphill)
- Occasionally accompanied by a family of turkeys or a deer may stop in the middle of the road to watch me.
- Two weeks in December – pitch black (no streetlights)
You’re furnishing your dream house. What’s in it?
- Green Mountain Case Pieces – Cherry with Walnut Tops
- In-home theater with leather recliners
You’re dumping your old dining set. What’s next? Why?
- Classic Shaker Flare Leg 42” Round Ext Dining Table – Cherry
- We have a very small eat-in kitchen
- Current table is similar to New Traditions in Oak and both the table design and the wood type just make it look too imposing for the small space.
Pick one bed to sleep on for the rest of your life.
Pagoda Bed – Cherry with Walnut Caps
What else should we know about you?
- T-O (theogolical offspring – aka Preacher’s Kid). Mom, Dad, Brother, Uncle and Grandfather are/were all Methodist ministers
- 4-year member of Rodeo Club in College
- BS in Journalism – Advertising Sequence with a Minor in Animal Science
What are you jamming out to?
- Depends on the day: Rock, Metal, Broadway Musicals, Easy Listening, Country
- KISS, Van Halen (Sammy Hagar-era), Garth Brooks, Helen Reddy, Metallica, Rammstein, Carole King, One Direction
- Musicals: Side Show, Wicked, Jesus Christ Superstar, Phantom of the Opera, Grease, The Producers, South Pacific
What’s one book you’d recommend everyone should read?
Mister God, This Is Anna by Sydney Hopkins
What are you watching on Netflix?
Black Mirror, Ozark, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Punisher, The Defenders, Orange Is The New Black, Stranger Things
What’s your all-time favorite quote to live by?
“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” (though my family would probably say “Suck it up.”)
Who’s your favorite superhero?
My husband – since we met he’s been most of them for Halloween at one point or another. He sews his own costumes and has done so for our whole family. That makes him a superhero to me. 🙂
If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?
What’s your spirit animal?
According to the online quiz I just took, it’s an owl
If you could have lunch with anyone, who would it be?
It’s a hot summer Saturday in Vermont. Where are you, and what are you doing?
- Working at VWS if it’s my turn in the rotation
What’s your favorite flavor of Ben & Jerry’s?
What was your favorite job (besides VWS)?
I was an Apprentice Trainer on an Arabian Showhorse Farm. It was all about the title. No pay the first year, $50/week for a 50 hour week the next. Loved it.
What did you want to be when you grew up?
After watching Secretariat win the Triple Crown in 1973 I wanted to be a jockey. I gave it up when I realized at age 12, I was already too tall. I did compete in barrel racing years later.
Other Fun Facts About Michelle
- Her family is often involved in theatre and has filmed short movies here at Stonehurst.
- Michelle gets the “Shortest Commute to The Office” award
- Her dog Faith sells furniture on weekends.
Already following our Blog? For more info sign up for our e-newsletter