Our reclaimed barn wood farm table is handcrafted in Vermont. With its traditional tapered legs this one-of-a kind farm table is a country home treasure!
At Vermont Woods Studios, we're dedicated to providing furniture that is good for your health, home, and the environment.
Our Wood Furniture
All of our furniture (with the exception of our Outdoor line, which is made from recycled milk jugs) is handcrafted in Vermont using real, natural hardwoods. We do not work with inferior substrates like Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF), particle board, or flimsy faux wood veneers.
We work mostly with cherry, maple, oak and walnut. Each board in your furniture is selected by hand, and inspected for quality, strength, straightness, grain and color. When requested, we use FSC green-certified lumber, although there is still a premium for FSC certified wood. Sometimes our artisans harvest lumber from the woods on their own property, a sustainable approach that adds another dimension to the story of your furniture!
Toxin Free Finishes
Many of our furniture makers continue to use traditional oil and wax based finishes, but even those that use more modern finishes ensure that they are non-toxic, formaldehyde-free and eco-friendly with little or no Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs).
As concern over indoor air quality continues to grow, many of our furniture makers are moving towards water based finishes. Conventional petroleum based solvents contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are harmful to the atmosphere. While most of these VOCs are released at the time of manufacturing, a small amount remains on the product and can off-gas in the home. Many of our collections can now be requested in a non-emitting water-based finish.
Shopping for Organic Furniture Online
Questions to ask when making decisions on your organic wood furniture:
- What type of wood is used?
- Where does the wood come from?
- How is the wood processed? Are chemicals used in processing? What kind of chemicals?
- What type of finish and/or stain is used? Is it a low VOC or no VOC finish-stain? Can you supply an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the finish?
- What type of glue is used? Is it non-toxic? Does it contain formaldehyde? MSDS available?
- Where is the furniture made and by whom?
- How is the furniture packaged for shipment?