Forests, rich in biodiversity, thick in oxygen, and natural filters of greenhouse gases (GHG) like carbon dioxide. In one year, one single tree sequesters 48 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and turns it into oxygen. The amount of oxygen that is released through this process every year, is roughly 260 pounds per tree.
However, at the current rate the world is going in regards to clear-cutting trees for agricultural, paper, and furniture needs, our oxygen supply dwindles while more GHG is released into the atmosphere in return. Every year, 15.3 billion trees are cut down. Want to know something scarier? Over the past 12,000 years, 46% of the world's trees have been clear-cut. Now more than ever, we need to stand together to help reverse the damage of deforestation.
Below are 10 quotes about the importance of forests and the harm of deforestation. We hope that it inspires you to take action with us, as we all become more aware of our impact on the environment.
- "By destroying the animals, the air, and the trees, we are destroying ourselves." - Thích Nhãt Hanh
- "What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another." - Mahatma Gandhi
- "Silencing of the rainforests is a double deforestation, not only of trees but a deforestation of the mind's music, medicine and knowledge." - Jay Griffiths
- "Reversing Deforestation Is Complicated; Planting a Tree Is Simple." - Martin O'Malley
- "It's not an investment if it's destroying the planet." - Vandana Shiva
- "We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren, and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish, and trees." - Qwatsinas (Hereditary Chief Edward Moody)
- "Deforestation is changing our climate, harming people and the natural world. We must, and can reverse this trend." - Jane Goodall
- "The forest is not a resource for us, it is life itself. It is the only place for us to live." - Evaristo Nugkuag Ikanan
- "Sadly, it's much easier to create a desert than a forest." - James Lovelock
- "Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal." - E.O. Wilson
At Vermont Woods Studios, we are passionate about making sure our forests stay forests and not deserts. That's why we plant trees for every order. To date, we have planted 75,844 and that number is only increasing.
What will you do today to combat deforestation? Let us know!