Colloquially called Presidents’ Day, The Third Monday of February Celebrates George Washington’s Birthday
To help celebrate our first President’s Birthday and the legacy he has left for over 200 years, I decided to share some fun facts about old George. A day most of us recognize as a day off or a great day to go shopping, it’s important for us to remember why we celebrate this day. Along with military and political successes, historians have captured some quirky facts about this founding father. Here they are..
- As President, George Washington never actually lived in Washington D.C.
- His teeth were never made of wood
- George Washington never had children of his own
- He was the first to sign the Constitution
- George Washington is the only U.S. president to be unanimously elected, not once but twice
- He never wore a wig, but he did powder his hair (thank goodness that trend didn’t survive)
- He died just 3 years after the end of his presidency after falling ill following a rainy horseback ride
- While he did unfortunately own slaves, he is the only slave-owning President to free all of his slaves
- He never chopped down that cherry tree we heard so much about in grade school
- He was a dog person, owning upwards of 30 foxhounds
Do you have any fun facts you want to share about our first President? Let me know in the comments section below.
Already following our Blog? For more info sign up for our e-newsletter