Last updated on August 15th, 2018 at 02:52 pm
By Presidential proclamation, this week– October 20-26, 2013 is National Forest Products Week. It’s a time for us to recognize the beauty of our forests, the many products that come from our forests and the people who work in and manage our forests.
At Vermont Woods Studios, our company was founded on a mission of forest conservation. Through Vermont’s beautiful, eco-friendly wood furniture, we’re trying to help raise awareness about the importance of sustainable forestry. What’s so interesting or important about sustainable forestry? Check out some of these fun forest facts:
- Each year the average American uses an amount of forest products equivalent to one HUGE tree (10 stories tall and 18 inches in diameter). That’s over 43 cubic feet of wood and 681 pounds of paper
- More than 5,000 things are made from trees such as houses, furniture, utensils, fences, books, medicines, chewing gum, cosmetics, clothing, toothpaste, soap, varnish, Almond Joy candy bars and of course, maple syrup
- The single oldest living thing on earth is a tree, its is 4,700 years old and is located in the US. It was growing when the Egyptians built the pyramids!
- Forests occupy one third of the Earth’s land area– they are our greatest defense against global warming
- As the Earth’s great air conditioners, trees rid the air of excess carbon dioxide and other pollutants to improve air quality
- Trees filter water, trap particles to make soil and help regulate climate patterns around the world
- Most forests are threatened by unsustainable forestry practices, development and climate change
- Organized crime controls much of the world’s timber trade– illegal timber is the new heroin
- An area of rainforest the size of a football field is being destroyed every second of every minute of every day
- In less than 100 years over half of the forest has been cut and burned, leaving whole areas of the earth bare and unprotected
- 54 of the world’s 193 countries have already lost >90% of their forests
With our mission of sustainable forestry we hope to persuade people to buy eco-friendly, Vermont made wood furniture and avoid the purchase of imported furniture that’s made from wood that’s illegally clear cut from the world’s rapidly disappearing rainforests.
Learn more about responsible forestry on the Vermont Forest Products Association website and visit us at our Stonehurst fine furniture and art gallery to experience the sustainable difference!
Already following our Blog? For more info sign up for our e-newsletter
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.