Why Choose Poly-Wood® All Weather Recycled Plastic Outdoor Patio Furniture?
Naturally we wanted to look for a real wood product when we decided to start carrying outdoor patio furniture. However, while there are weather resistant species such as cedar, teak, and redwood that make fine outdoor furniture, we still worried about the longevity of the furniture, maintenance, and forest conservation. Conserving the environment is at the core of our mission and is a key factor in our decision making process. While researching high end outdoor furniture we discovered a material known as recycled plastic lumber (RPL or poly wood). It is both durable and environmentally friendly, so we knew we had found our product.
Using recycled plastic lumber (poly wood) in place of regular wood for outdoor furniture has several important environmental advantages:
- It reduces the amount of plastic in landfills (recycling 1 ton of plastic saves 7.4 cubic yards of landfill space)
- Because polywood is so durable, it reduces plastic in landfills two fold as this furniture will last for many years longer than furniture made using less durable materials
- It puts less demand on our forests, especially vulnerable tropical rain forests. Learn more about how even our solid wood furniture is made from sustainably harvested woods by visiting our page on forest conservation
- Polywood is an extremely durable all weather material that does not usually require any maintenance other than the occasional cleaning with soap and water, resulting in a reduced demand for harsh cleaning chemicals
- While the manufacture of plastics requires the burning of fossil fuels like oil and natural gas, making plastic lumber from recycled materials requires the consumption of fewer natural resources (over 90% of polywood plastic lumber is made from post-consumer bottle waste, such as milk and detergent bottles)
Poly-Wood® salt-resistant, all weather outdoor patio furniture is made in America and is beautiful, sturdy and maintenance free. It will stay strong and look like new season after season. In fact, we back it with a lifetime guarantee.
What is So Special About Poly-Wood® All Weather Furniture?
Poly-Wood® is not to be confused with the typical thin injection molded plastic furniture manufactured offshore that is sold by the big box stores. Poly-Wood is a thick, dense plastic product that replicates high quality tropical lumber in dimension and strength. For instance, a Poly-Wood Adirondack chair would be cut and assembled just like the wood versions with the only difference being the use of RPL, “recycled plastic lumber”.
This solid recycled plastic polywood lumber is produced from long-lasting, high-density polyethylene (HDPE):
- No maintenance required other than simply washing with water
- Impervious to harsh weather such as rain, snow, ice, and salt water
- Insect, mold and mildew-proof
- Heavy (an average chair weighs 40 pounds) so it won't blow away in strong ocean breezes
- Resists corrosive substances, oil and fuels, insects, fungi, salt water spray, and other environmental stresses
- No toxic preservatives like treated wood lumber
- Available in natural colors, as well as white, black and a wide variety of popular contemporary colors
The raw material for polywood is primarily composed of recycled plastic bottles, such as milk and detergent bottles and other HDPE post-consumer and industrial wastes. These containers are then cleaned and decontaminated to a high purity level. Lastly, it is compounded into a rigid polywood board stock material which won't absorb moisture, rot, splinter, or crack.
Poly-Wood outdoor patio furniture offers superior weathering resistance without the water proofing, painting, staining, and other maintenance required by solid wood outdoor furniture. This innovative luxury outdoor lawn and garden furniture is recycling at it’s very best! Need more reasons to buy polywood furniture from us?